BT Openreach recently announced they are retiring the UK's traditional voice network. Telephone lines will not be sold after September 2023 and the existing telephone network will be completely switched off by December 2025.
What does this mean?
It means that all traditional services, such as ISDN and analogue lines, will no longer work.
Services affected by this announcement include:
• Traditional PBX telephone systems
• Home, lift, and alarm lines
• Monitoring services
The above services will need to be replaced by new internet or mobile-based systems, of which many are already available.
What should you do?
Firstly, there is NO NEED TO PANIC, however it is important to start planning your 'switchover' now to avoid the inevitable last-minute rush. This is where RGC can help.
Here are some simple steps you can take:
• Check to see if your current telephone system is compatible with SIP.
If it isn’t, then you may only require a system upgrade rather than a completely new system. Alternatively, cloud or hosted based telephone systems can be a very economical upgrade, with many benefits.
• Familiarise yourself with the internet-based solutions available for your current line service. i.e. VoIP/SIP/cloud solutions, single order or fibre broadband, mobile sims etc.
Consider the benefits these can bring to your business now.
• Seek help from a supplier who specialises in IP technology and wants to understand your business, as well as your systems and services.
RGC will provide you with an accurate and honest assessment of your requirements and give you the best solution to meet your current and future needs.
If you would like more information or if you would like to book a FREE system review, please “Request a Review”.
Here's a helpful PDF with more infomation on the 2025 switch off:
pdf The Big 2025 Switch-Off (1.27 MB)